Fluff discussion

For general conversations.
Gauntlet

Re: Fluff discussion

Post by Gauntlet » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:37 pm

I personally prefer the Scourge as the sole group of Scourge, and nomads, as originally presented. The Shaltari would not be "throwing species in their way" as it were, to stop a single group of Scourge. Nor would they be fighting a civil conflict and spending lives just to create a "Serious challenge".

The reconquest is high stakes and high drama... and I really believe it is an existential threat to the Scourge...

The new ships/etc. merely implies that they have hidden mobile shipyard facilities (which Nomads would need anyhow).

But I could be wrong!

Nobody

Post by Nobody » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:51 pm

It'd be amusing if it turned out there was a hidden Scourge civil war going on and the ones we've seen so far are the friendlier option.

Gauntlet

Post by Gauntlet » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:13 pm

lol Now that I would appreciate

juz

Post by juz » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:36 am

I'd be amazed if Dave already has the next species locked down. The book has certainly focused more on the "certainty" of a embroiled post conflict struggle in the "power vacuum " left on earth so lots to exploit there for dzc, and the changing fates of some of the planets probably pave the way for all contenders still being around for the next book..maybe 2021/22 well see who the new threat is..I can see a flip of b4e in that the next book will have dfc 2.0, updates/expansions for dzc and the new faction for both systems. (Also by this time a dfc app)...so speculation will revolve around how to make a new game mechanic within the rulesets as we have hi tech , body snatchers, humans in ucm and oldskool, AI humans,...that leaves machine threat if yet another species isn't happening. I guess one mechanic could be really , really strict coherency rules that reflect Some AI Comms requirement and severe penalties that result if not adhered to. Something alot more constrained than shaltaris void gates and resulting gate spam...something requiring serious logistical thought to maintain, and juicy node targeting of opponents to "sever" limbs of opponents. Aesthetic wise I just hope it isn't the bor*yawn*g..
Two rules for life;
1) Never fight with a pig - you both get covered in filth and the pig likes it.
2) Better late in this life than early in the next...

BlackLegion

Post by BlackLegion » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:08 pm

So how do you think the fluff will continue after BfE? I don't think the combined factions of Humanity will defeat the Scourge once and for all. In the next book there Earth will still be contested but we will probably learn more about the secrets of the non UCM factions. I also hope an entire new non-human faction will show up.

Gauntlet

Post by Gauntlet » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:36 pm

I could see a new faction entering the fray, and as a result, the Human factions have to grudgingly accept a defacto peace with the Scourge, with the Scourge potentially losing earth, but retaining the other holdings and generally working to "get the hell out of dodge" and find a new easy prey species to recoup their numbers.

For other factions, aside from some sort of "Threat to all life" I'd love for a truly insect based race faction, and I'd love for them to be a race that the Shaltari once smacked around and they basically only desire to murder the Shaltari.

But perhaps my anti-hedgehog bias is showing.

kimek

Post by kimek » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:04 pm

Gauntlet wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:36 pm
I could see a new faction entering the fray, and as a result, the Human factions have to grudgingly accept a defacto peace with the Scourge, with the Scourge potentially losing earth, but retaining the other holdings and generally working to "get the hell out of dodge" and find a new easy prey species to recoup their numbers.

For other factions, aside from some sort of "Threat to all life" I'd love for a truly insect based race faction, and I'd love for them to be a race that the Shaltari once smacked around and they basically only desire to murder the Shaltari.

But perhaps my anti-hedgehog bias is showing.
I doubt manking would willingly liet Scourge to get out and find a new host-species. Even putting burning hatred homo sapiens would feel toward jellyfishes, it's VERY unwise to let your mortal enemy to retreat AND regroup. Who could guarantee that few hundreds years in future Scourges (after rebuilding their armies) wouldn't come back with desire to have a Round 2 with humankind?

Gauntlet

Post by Gauntlet » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:10 pm

The comment assumes there is a new existential threat taking centre stage, presumably striking at earth (Callisto) and leaving Mankind little choice.