The Harpy

The space game set in the Commanderverse.
Thunderboy

Re: The Harpy

Post by Thunderboy »

Points drop is the easy way.

Would outlier+ vectored make a difference for you guys?

Or just giving it 1 more shoot would be interesting; Attack 2 damage 2 no need for fusillade that way.
“We're like the Forums little pitbull. You'll beat it, mistreat it, and once in a while we'll escape to attack somebody.” ;)

Yossarian78

Post by Yossarian78 »

At some point you want the platform to bring something unique/ effective and a points adjustment doesn't really cut it IMHO. Outlier would be interesting as groups could become low sig hunting packs on the periphery. Vectored seems unnecessary with its fire arc. 2x shots seems too powerful without some kind of drawback. With 2 shots standard (lock value unmodified), 3x Harpies would statistically give 4x damage via criticals plus another 4x damage pending armor saves.

Thunderboy

Post by Thunderboy »

Well, lock could go to 4+, same as Toulon. Or it could get Bloom.
Other options is making the attack 2 version an extra profile with alt-1, BLOOM
“We're like the Forums little pitbull. You'll beat it, mistreat it, and once in a while we'll escape to attack somebody.” ;)

Mr.prowler

Post by Mr.prowler »

I feel that the harpy (and all scourge frigates) are already unique in that they can lurk in atmo. If not dropping points, giving it some kind of minor special rule that plays off of that strength could be interesting.

Gauntlet

Post by Gauntlet »

I personally think we could split the weapon into two profiles (whether we increase firepower and damage potential or not) and that makes it more flexible for "clearance work". Additionally, giving it outlier is a cool idea and resonates with the idea of them being pack hunters that flank an enemy.

Add to that, I could see Fusillade, but really... more "dakka" isn't going to really make it shine in the Scourge list, because there are innumerable (okay, they are in fact numerable) choices for firepower on speedy platforms.

Yossarian78

Post by Yossarian78 »

Outlier would make them what the Nickar are not (talk about a snub).

Gauntlet

Post by Gauntlet »

lol very true

Mr.prowler

Post by Mr.prowler »

What if harpies were more of a force multiplier? Give them a new weapon that assists friendly scourge ships in dealing damage/softening up the enemy?

For example:

Oculus shimmer
2+ lock
1 damage
1 attack
F/S arc
Special:
Alt-1
Bloom
Convection blast: on critical hit, scald effects are increased by +1 for the duration of the turn, and apply from double scan range.

^not what I'd say the best option is but at least a start?

NiciusMax

Post by NiciusMax »

I'm really not sure what to do with the Harpy. It is a gun frigate which is overshadowed by either Djinns or Scylla's as frigates and Succubi as destroyers.

For Scourge we don't really need a fast mobile gun platform, since we have plenty of those already. I like the idea of a support frigate though

Yossarian78

Post by Yossarian78 »

So reduce the standard gun power but give it a modular build that can accommodate a single choice from a hard point list. One option would be additional gun power. Another a limited aegis ability, etc. Options would be modest compared to other dedicated classes but maybe there is an opportunity to bring customization to the Scourge side.

Frigates are typically small ships with limited offensive power but supplying the battle group/ fleet with defensive warfare options (anti-air, anti-sub, anti-surface).