First experience with Resistance

The space game set in the Commanderverse.
Gauntlet

First experience with Resistance

Post by Gauntlet » Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:26 am

Just played my first game with Resistance... very refreshing coming off of years of UCM VS Scourge.

It was 750 point game of Resistance VS Scourge, we both had 9 launch... I made a few mistakes... like thinking 4 fighters was enough to stop 6 bombers from wiping out a 8DP ship...

It was not.

But I ultimately won due to some nice tactics luring Djinn to engage some Munifex and then wiping them out with double vent turret heavy frigates.

The Tribune was also a good utility ship in such a small game. And gosh, three strike carriers with hyrbid gun turrets was also working well.

NiciusMax

Re: First experience with Resistance

Post by NiciusMax » Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:38 pm

Good to hear positive results with Resistance. I'm thinking about starting a Resistance fleet sometime this year.

Also how did the Tribune do? Doesn't it suffer from wanting to do too much different things at the same time?

And is that model already released? Cant seem to find it in the TTC webstore

Gauntlet

Post by Gauntlet » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:50 am

1) The model isn't released... however, I built one using a standard cruiser hull and combining it with a standard frigate hull for length... added bits to taste.

2) The Tribune suffered most from it's horrible speed. That being said, it dropped some troops in a nearby easy cluster, sent fighters out continually, and then got two rounds of shooting and destroyed a Hydra. It was intimidating enough in armor and HP that my opponent never fired on it.

Which to be fair... small game... 750 points... it was the right move to ignore it and focus down my light cruiser carrier/troopship hybrids/etc.

All in all I enjoyed the Tribune and I'll definitely try it again. It needs to get up to the middle for a drop and that's where it can bring it's guns to range anyhow.

NiciusMax

Post by NiciusMax » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:19 pm

It isn't slower then a New York so that is fine by me.

I was more concerned that it would be to much jack off all trades master of none compaired to the pure gun version battlecruiser.

Gauntlet

Post by Gauntlet » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:59 pm

I think game size is really going to determine if it's good or bad to be a jack of all trades... in a 750 point game... I think it's very very beneficial, in a 1250 or 1500... Yeek.

At larger sizes, robust ships are easier to take down, which is fine, but then I really need to make sure those larger ships are taking heat off of smaller and more important scoring vessels. Being both isn't a problem because of the lack of focus/specialty... it's a problem because the ship is becoming a bigger and bigger target.

ALL troopships MUST DIE is a pretty frequent mantra for myself and my buddies. Then for Resistance, it's clear that knocking out their carriers will greatly aid any Close Action forces in butchering them, so every Carrier killed is also a big deal. Then there is simply the advantage of knocking out big meaty/point-sunk ships.

So losing a Tribune is a win/win/win for the enemy. Whereas, a Phalanx or such, is only a regular win... and meant a lot of firepower went towards it instead of Carriers and Troopships.

In lower point games though, the fleets are spread thinner, it's harder to focus down large ships, and the ability to field a little less firepower but add more troops and more fighter cover is really nice when the points are tight.

NiciusMax

Post by NiciusMax » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:18 am

Hmm that is interesting. I think you are right, it might be to much eggs in a single basket, especially if it is also a flagship. A Phalanx might be better suited for that role