RIP Corsair V2

The ground game set in the Commanderverse.
Mr.prowler

RIP Corsair V2

Post by Mr.prowler » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:01 am

Unless I am missing something, the Corsair is still in an unfortunately depressing state. The hull stats are fine, but the weapon is not too great for 50 points. The 50 50 hit or miss still hampers the corsair and the AA-2 may as well not exist, as against other interceptors like the Archangel, there will still be a +3 acc penalty which pushes the acc to 6+ to hit with only one shot. Is there any news on if this unit will be changed, or is this simply how its meant to be? I'd be fine if the Corsair cost like 25-30 points and didn't have rare (on second thought maybe that would be too strong?) so the Corsair could be true to its fluff as a "swarm fighter". Does anybody have any other thoughts/news?

Lorn

Re: RIP Corsair V2

Post by Lorn » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:45 am

The Problem is that the Corsair is by design trapped in a bad place, the high Energy means it cannot be to cheap as it is basically a multipurpose Fighter (it can do ground attacks). But it does not shine in either role.

Kaizecha

Post by Kaizecha » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:57 am

I found it hilarious when I first saw "Rare" listed for the Corsair in the Army Builder. I agree that this should be more along the line of a swarm fighter. Maybe if it had some kind of rule where it could combine shots for better to hit along with a cheaper cost?

Gauntlet

Post by Gauntlet » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:08 pm

I think Lorn is right, that any way you "fix" the Corsair, it goes against it's fluff/design/model. I think the Scourge will just get a new Flyer or two and we can just retire the ol' Corsair. Much like the original Seraphim.

Mr.prowler

Post by Mr.prowler » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:39 pm

While I understand your assessment(s) that the basic flaw of the Corsair is in its design, I still think something could be done for it, maybe a "wide fire" mode where the plasma bolt could explode at a set distance like flak, but have a more AA style energy (6-8ish) and maybe give it the fragmentation rule (or similar substitute for aerial use) to represent the flying globs of superheated gas. The alternate fire mode would also probably need AA-3. The current fire mode could be increased to 3+ acc and lose the AA rule.
I know this is all conjecture but I really hope to see something done to make the corsairs good, either through better weapons or cheap pricing.

Stompzilla

Post by Stompzilla » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:06 pm

I don't understand why Scourge flyers wouldn't have arc casters.

Councillor

Post by Councillor » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:45 pm

Shoot down tough gunships. Given the new critical hit rules, two of them have a good chance of killing a typhoon or reaver, then finishing off the second gunship before jetting off the table in their next activation. Everything you have said continues to screw them over, but they have a clear, preferred victim now. 100 pts, flexible activation with any battlegroup you want, seems like an improvement over before. Probably not enough, though.

It is a limited niche, I agree, but I am somewhat tickled that the fluff about Corsair weapons being "overkill" has an echo of truth now.

BlackLegion

Post by BlackLegion » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:15 pm

Corsairs cost the same as Archangels. But I think you have to use at least 3 Corsairs to make them worthwhile. 3 Corsairs have a good chance to down any Fast Aircraft or destroy any APC. Ground AA can only hit them on a 6 (some on 5) and with Reaction Fire always only on a 6. With the ability to have more than 2 Corsairs in a single Squad there is a good chance that they will reach their target and be effective to destroy it.

Fast Movers are designed to hit enemy units at the opposite half of the board from Round 2 onwards. Everything on your half of the board you can hit with your regular Squads anyway.

Also note that you can move on the board with your last activation, turn 90°, shoot with a 90° front arc and next round activate first, shoot first then move.

In V2 i see Fast Movers as quite essential to prevent a Round 3 loss in missions with Mobile Objectives. Will try to get at least a Squad with 3 Corsairs in every list I will build.

Mr.prowler

Post by Mr.prowler » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:53 am

So now that i've had some gametime with them I'd like to make some more remarks. I feel the corsair is in a really good spot right now, probably the best it ever has been. It now fulfills a very unique and interesting Heavy AA/Demo role that no other fast mover really does.

Pros:
1 High energy- instantly criticals against armor 11 and below
2 High threat range- for some reason the guns shoot 18 inches now, weird, but I'm not complaining
3 Devastator 2 Vs buildings
4 Now the cheapest fast mover- its 40pts vs archangel 45, Athena 110, shaltari 60/70, and resistance 125
5 Highest squad size of the above mentioned- 1-4 for corsairs, 1-2 for archangels, 1 for Athena, 1-2 for shaltari fighters, 1 for hellhog

Cons:
1 Only one attack
2 50% hit chance
3 multiple need to be taken for much effectiveness\

I just played a game in which I took 8 corsairs (was 1500 pts). I noticed they do a couple things really well. They are excellent for long-range demo. buildings that are normally out of range for scourge firepower are vulnerable to these guys since they can fly halfway across the map in one turn. Since most buildings are armor 10, that means that a hit will likely result in collateral tokens as well as 2 damage from demo 2. The cost is also great, 3 of these guys are cheaper than three hunters +marauder. They still suck as general-purpose AA, but, like councillor said, against heavy air targets where you will be concentrating fire they are pretty awesome.

Thunderboy

Post by Thunderboy » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:29 am

In a demo game I ran they did well too, just a pair of them went to down a Raven A, a Condor and a Bear.
“We're like the Forums little pitbull. You'll beat it, mistreat it, and once in a while we'll escape to attack somebody.” ;)