Airbrushing Stripes

Zoxe

Airbrushing Stripes

Post by Zoxe »

At both Adepticon and Champaign, I had quite a few people ask me how I did the stripes on my fleet.

I don't claim to be a pro painter, but here's a quick tutorial on the process I use:

https://zoxes.blogspot.com/2019/05/zoxe ... ripes.html

Gauntlet

Re: Airbrushing Stripes

Post by Gauntlet »

Thank you for sharing the tutorial and I love the homeworld-feel of the Centurion paint work you did!

Zoxe

Post by Zoxe »

Gauntlet wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:38 am
Thank you for sharing the tutorial and I love the homeworld-feel of the Centurion paint work you did!
They were a lot of fun to paint!

The chipped/weathered paint was a technique that I'd wanted to try for awhile. I did a little bit of how-to in a separate post (see linky below), but basically you sponge on some brighter colors and then mask (also with a sponge) with a silicone mold builder compound (available at hobby lobby), then peel the silicone back off after the basecoat. The technique is intended for chipped/rusted tanks and mechs, but with some black streaks it worked out reasonably well as battle damage and large caliber impacts. :)

https://zoxes.blogspot.com/2019/04/hot- ... ander.html

Thunderboy

Post by Thunderboy »

Nice and funny.
Thanks for sharing!
“We're like the Forums little pitbull. You'll beat it, mistreat it, and once in a while we'll escape to attack somebody.” ;)

Bistromatic

Post by Bistromatic »

Great introduction and lovely models! Stripes and spaceships just go together really well.

Like you mention, using temporary pieces of tape to align everything is important for this sort of scheme.

Personally i first spray the stripe colour, mask off the stripe areas and then apply the main colour but that depends on your colour choices and preference.

From a design perspective, also keep in mind that not every ship of the same class has to have the exact same markings. I give them the same pattern but vary the location, i like to think of it as a choice the captain is allowed to make.

For my own fleet i made a complete classification system based on stripe patterns (needs to be updated for monitors and destroyers)

A step-by-step for my scheme used to be on the hawk site, i'll dig it back out and put it up here when i have a moment.

Zoxe

Post by Zoxe »

Bistromatic wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:21 am
Great introduction and lovely models! Stripes and spaceships just go together really well.

Like you mention, using temporary pieces of tape to align everything is important for this sort of scheme.

Personally i first spray the stripe colour, mask off the stripe areas and then apply the main colour but that depends on your colour choices and preference.

Yup, yup, yup, agree on all counts.

That particular post was just trying to get the basics down. From there, so much is possible.

The order that the colors go down (basecoat vs. stripes first?) does take some thought. In my case, I'm doing the basecoat as an airbrushed gradient and then using inks and washes in the airbrush for bulk shading and a few contrasting tones. I want the stripe to go on top of all that to pick up that foundation as an underlayer. This is less apparent in the mostly-red Centurion (which is why I picked it as the basic example) but was very true in my main fleet. In the end, whatever works for the artist in that particular moment. :)

My particular fleet also has some nuances/variations. Different color for the Carrier (gah, must build more), different angles (mirror image) for Light and Heavy cruisers, but I chose to keep the same basic pattern overall. I was thinking of them more like the stripes you see on the cargo plans that took the airborne in the night before D-Day, or the chevrons that the coalition forces used during the Gulf War.

Said another way, as my Fleet grows, I might choose to step away from the gray/blue/orange/white scheme for my UCM and paint a few ships differently. But, with the "alliance stripes" they won't look out of place with my Fleet. The Centurions, and the Pungari Thresher (arriving Monday!) are good examples. But that's just how I thought of them.

Nodri

Post by Nodri »

I remember these from the old forum. Stunning work and quality tutorials. The blue-green gives a nice sci-fi flavor to the utilitarian look of the ships and the OSL on the engines is just plain flawless.
Passion has little to do with euphoria and everything to do with patience. It is not about feeling good. It is about endurance. Like patience, passion comes from the same Latin root: pati. It does not mean to flow with exuberance. It means to suffer.