Scourge and “your dudes” story hooks

For general conversations.
BobtheResister

Scourge and “your dudes” story hooks

Post by BobtheResister »

I’m one of those gamers who always wants to have my own chapter, my own mydudes, my OC Donutsteel subfaction. Scourge don’t seem very accommodating to my gaming needs.

What ideas do you all have for personalizing a Scourge fleet or dropforce? I’d love to hear some new ideas.

Here are some I came up with. I’d love feedback to make them more fleshed out or interesting:

1. A Scourge fleet has been isolated long enough to “drift” from unity with the main hulk of the species. Think of the Concord and Isorians from Gates of Antares, the Starflyer and MorningLightMountain from Pandora’s Star, or why Skynet feared unleashing the T-1,000 in the Terminator expanded lore. This raises the question of how?

Perhaps a super dreadnaught or hive ship was damaged and presumed lost fighting a previous host species, and lacked the means to repair itself until a fleeing human ship randomly jumped into its metaphorical hands. Maybe the PHR or Shaltari were experimenting to see if they could fracture the Scourge. Maybe a pathogen present in a newly discovered host species caused physiological changes in the parasites themselves.

2. They aren’t really Scourge at all. The Scourge have a long list of abandoned enemies. The reptilian (or other) remnants would have had 150 years to rebuild and rearm since the Scourge abandoned them to take human hosts; these remnants would have access to Sciurge infrastructure. Or the PHR/Shaltari/unknown threat could have boarded and captured a small Scourge splinter fleet to use their ships in order to attack troublesome UCM, Resistance or Shaltari forces without showing their hand and drawing those factions’ ire.

3. The nature of the hosts shows through, giving these Scourge more personality, like the Goa’uld or the Zerg Kerrigan.

What do you think?

Thunderboy

Re: Scourge and “your dudes” story hooks

Post by Thunderboy »

In reverse order:
3. is the bloodlust that takes hold of the old ones. So is covered in the lore. Scourge get eutenised, if they lose hold over their hosts.

2. Is actually 3 ideas. PHR/Shaltari could disable ships with their tech without destroying them. So this unknown source might aswell.

The originally creators of the tech is an interesting point aswell. As it could have taken them longer that humanity to rebuild.

1. Isolation is a driver for evolution. So I dig it. Because the scourge would be in need of a hive mind contact.
“We're like the Forums little pitbull. You'll beat it, mistreat it, and once in a while we'll escape to attack somebody.” ;)

Nobody

Post by Nobody »

My pet theory is that there's a faction that's made up of the remnants of other species that the Scourge used up before getting to the humans, and that they're trying to build up for revenge.

Unfortunately the humans seem to be getting to it first, and they really can't cope with the idea that they aren't going to be able to get their revenge themselves.

BobtheResister

Post by BobtheResister »

Nobody wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:38 am
My pet theory is that there's a faction that's made up of the remnants of other species that the Scourge used up before getting to the humans, and that they're trying to build up for revenge.

Unfortunately the humans seem to be getting to it first, and they really can't cope with the idea that they aren't going to be able to get their revenge themselves.
m
I like that idea. I’ll have to kitbash some of their ships from sprue parts, base parts, widgets, and Scourge space station bits.

So this fleet hates the Scourge and feels bitterness towards humanity. How do they feel about the Shaltari?

BobtheResister

Post by BobtheResister »

Thunderboy wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:55 pm
In reverse order:
3. is the bloodlust that takes hold of the old ones. So is covered in the lore. Scourge get eutenised, if they lose hold over their hosts.

2. Is actually 3 ideas. PHR/Shaltari could disable ships with their tech without destroying them. So this unknown source might aswell.

The originally creators of the tech is an interesting point aswell. As it could have taken them longer that humanity to rebuild.

1. Isolation is a driver for evolution. So I dig it. Because the scourge would be in need of a hive mind contact.
1. Seems like the most pure form of “my Scourge”. Number 3. is most likely to violate the background.

2. Has the most possibility for unique conversions and paint schemes. I’ll definitely do something with these ideas, such as converting some old host fleets or a deniable strike force for my PHR.

Thunderboy

Post by Thunderboy »

Come to think of it. I wrote a fanfic mission after DZC Phase 1 came out, to attack a Scourge base ala the St Nazaire Raid. Basicly, UCM got hollowed out hulls from the Scourge and used these as camoflage.

Enjoy making it your own!
“We're like the Forums little pitbull. You'll beat it, mistreat it, and once in a while we'll escape to attack somebody.” ;)

BobtheResister

Post by BobtheResister »

That sounds like a good way to use some spare bits—break-away hulls falling way from UCM ships.

Nobody

Post by Nobody »

BobtheResister wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:10 pm
Nobody wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:38 am

m
I like that idea. I’ll have to kitbash some of their ships from sprue parts, base parts, widgets, and Scourge space station bits.

So this fleet hates the Scourge and feels bitterness towards humanity. How do they feel about the Shaltari?
Honestly haven't even considered that hook. It's possible that they're aware that the Shaltari have been putting sapient species (maybe even their own) out in front of the Scourge, however it's also very possible that they're not aware of it since none of them ever had Scourge attempt to parley and it's unlikely that the Shaltari would ever admit it to them.