Prewar EAA history and story hooks for “my dudes” subfactions

For general conversations.
BobtheResister

Prewar EAA history and story hooks for “my dudes” subfactions

Post by BobtheResister »

I’ve been thinking of ways to create my own “chapter” or “mydudes” in the dropverse while still fitting into the background. I’m hoping we can come up with a lot of story hooks and work out some issues with the setting. Unfortunately, we don’t know much about the Shaltari, PHR, or Scourge background, so we’ll have to stretch a bit there.

So the Shaltari lead humanity to the Cradle Worlds in order to curry favor with humanity, and then lost that favor by trying to use humanity as a weapon. This leads to some considerations:

Were there any human mercenary groups who worked for the Shaltari? Seems like there would have been quite a few humans willing to fight and risk death for the potential rewards. What would such mercenaries have seen, learned or stolen in Shaltari service? Could there still be a cache of technology or foldspace node coordinates left behind by those mercenaries?

Once humanity learned not to trust the advanced Shaltari, what steps would they take to protect themselves? Obviously the EAA colonized worlds far away from the Cradle Worlds and built more impressive warships. Might they have developed black sites or backup colonies kept completely off the grid so the Shaltari couldn’t find them through information espionage? (Certainly I expect the EAA to have developed off-grid infrastructure after the White Sphere hacked everything.). Would a newly-paranoid EAA have sent out short-jump or STL probes to map out nearby systems? Might they have tried covertly contacting other species who serve the Shaltari?

More to come...
Last edited by BobtheResister on Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thunderboy

Re: Prewar EAA history and story hooks

Post by Thunderboy »

Well Mercenaries helped out the White Sphere to escape on Earth, so I think you are on to something!
“We're like the Forums little pitbull. You'll beat it, mistreat it, and once in a while we'll escape to attack somebody.” ;)

BobtheResister

Post by BobtheResister »

Thunderboy wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:27 am
Well Mercenaries helped out the White Sphere to escape on Earth, so I think you are on to something!

I’m not sure how I would represent that on the tabletop. Perhaps simply adding some EAA ships as allies to a Shaltari fleet, although I’d love to see an upgraded human-Shaltari “White Star” vessel for the mercenaries. Perhaps I can use some of the DZC Shaltari bits with some Resistance prows/command decks...
Last edited by BobtheResister on Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BobtheResister

Post by BobtheResister »

Once the White Sphere hacker the planet, I’d expect a lot of people would have fled off-grid. Surely the wealthy and political elite would have some unlisted getaway planet somewhere. I think it’s reasonable to assume the EAA would consider all publicly known colonies security-compromised, and would likely have spent the year of the warming building up assets in new or classified colonies. Everyone who could afford a vacation at the time given in The Warning probably took one. (This is where my Resistance fleet comes in, an “alpha site” planet from the old days brought out of mothballs and rapidly modernized with Trident Yards technologies.)

A small number of colonies went dark during the EAA days. Perhaps they were wiped out by Shaltari or other aliens. Perhaps they were paranoid about the risk of Shaltari aggression. Or maybe they were just political or religious extremists. They can make for a compelling Resistance backstory. I like to think at least one stumbled onto the ruins of a dead civilization, a dire warning of Shaltari treachery.

The White Sphere gave humanity a chance to escape by jumping to Vega and waiting for coordinates. Canonically, the EAA government never sent help to the Vega Scrapfleet. However, I wonder how many ships fleeing the Scourge invasion decided to jump to Vega in the hopes that the White Sphere would save them. With a fresh influx of working ships and personnel, the survival and expansion of the scrapfleet feels more believable. And perhaps some of those intact ships attempted to download coordinates from smashed navicomputers, hoping to jump to safety only to end up...somewhere else.
——

The modularity and universality of the EAA space stations implies a mature and robust technology. Clearly space habitation was attainable for more than just governments and mega corporations. During the prewar period, expansion in systems likely outpaced expansion across interstellar distances. I propose that space settlements were common, fairly easy to set up and maintain, and an inevitable result of economic, political and religious tensions in the EAA. There were probably whole support communities/kibbutzim/survivalist companies of “Belters”, workers who lived out by the Jovian moons or asteroid belts, perhaps even the Oort Clouds. They would not have been the Scourge’s primary target and would have had a lot more time to escape the invasion, scattered across a tremendous volume of space. They could have brought a tremendous amount of infrastructure with them as mining equipment, small refineries, tools, and computer files to build bigger machines, stations and refineries using their tools at hand. The UCM likely keeps their asteroid miners on a loose leash as long as they provide lots of useful resources and don’t go stirring trouble. (I built part of a “Belter” fleet from the Space Station kit before the Resistance range was announced. I love how they turned out.)

More to come.

Nobody

Post by Nobody »

From what we know about Shaltari, I doubt they would have given any humans (even loyalists) any access to "protected" worlds and it's unlikely they gave them any technology beyond what they already had. I mean, maybe if there was a (for lack of better term) cult who worshiped the Shaltari and asked to be their avenging sword sort of deal but they'd have to be fairly large to be able to absorb casualties and be able to produce additional generations of fighters.

As far as defense goes, from what we've seen from Dropfleet, it looks like the decision was generally to build military defenses into cities themselves. Additional colonies are possible too, but I doubt the Shaltari are/were unaware of them given how much more advanced their tech is. Hidden bases on colony worlds certainly are possible (and I've done scenarios utilizing that story hook).

BobtheResister

Post by BobtheResister »

Nobody wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:26 am
From what we know about Shaltari, I doubt they would have given any humans (even loyalists) any access to "protected" worlds and it's unlikely they gave them any technology beyond what they already had. I mean, maybe if there was a (for lack of better term) cult who worshiped the Shaltari and asked to be their avenging sword sort of deal but they'd have to be fairly large to be able to absorb casualties and be able to produce additional generations of fighters.

As far as defense goes, from what we've seen from Dropfleet, it looks like the decision was generally to build military defenses into cities themselves. Additional colonies are possible too, but I doubt the Shaltari are/were unaware of them given how much more advanced their tech is. Hidden bases on colony worlds certainly are possible (and I've done scenarios utilizing that story hook).
They probably wouldn’t give their best tech, no, but keep in mind the Pungari ship gets a weak force field (or something) save when allied with the Shaltari. Even a weak force field would be worthwhile.

The Shaltari often use aliens as the labor on their ships. If they ever trusted any humans enough to fill that role, there’s a chance for some techno espionage.

Perhaps one of the long-missing colonies was simply taken and enslaved outright by the Shaltari.

As for the Shaltari being aware of every human outpost and colony, I suppose they might be. However, different tribes have different goals and interfere with each other all the time; there’s reason to believe they don’t all have the same intel. And once the White Sphere got involved, there’s no telling who knows more about whom anymore.

I don’t expect this to match Dave’s vision for the setting. However, I enjoy creating my own forces, so I prefer to look for story hooks like these rather than just assembling and painting the Aurum 12th or the Shaltari Mongols straight out of the book.

I’d love to hear other ideas, though. If you have your own “my dudes” backstory, please share.