Nodri's Project Log - Painting, Magnets, Terrain, & Tutorials

A forum to show off terrain, painted miniatures, works in progress and similar.
Nodri

Re: Nodri's Project Log - Painting, Magnets, Terrain, & Tutorials

Post by Nodri »

Progress as of late has been slow but steady. The good news is that the remaining UCM models are ready for priming and I've finished painting three EAA Columbus Battlewalkers. Since this was a one-off paint scheme, I documented everything and have created the first new tutorial in awhile. The models can be used by the UCM, PHR, and Resistance. With this in mind, I decided to paint them in a way that highlighted their experimental nature so they wouldn't look too out of place with any army.

Next, I'll finally begin to paint the UCM and will probably start with infantry just to get them done and out of the way.

Enjoy the tutorial. C&C always welcome.

Primer, varnish, and most colors have been applied with an airbrush (Iwata HP-CS Eclipse). Details including metals, lenses, cockpits, masking, and touch-ups have been done with synthetic paint brushes and a wet pallete.

Sanded, washed, and ready for primer.

Primed black with Vallejo Black Primer.

Base yellow with Minitaire 124 Amber.

First yellow highlight with Minitaire 122 Craven.

Second yellow highlight with Minitaire 120 Bile.

Redefine shadows with Minitaire 124 Amber.

Darken shadows with Vallejo Model Color 70.846 Mahogany Brown.

Glaze all yellow areas with Vallejo Game Ink 72085 diluted 1:4-ish with acrylic airbrush thinner.

Spray on two thin coats of matte medium and then two thin coats of acrylic gloss varnish. Allow to cure for at least a few days so the varnish can resist the making fluid.

Apply the masking fluid in two coats. The first should be thin (it can be diluted with water); the second can be applied a bit thicker. Dry the models in front of a fan while working to reduce the risk of damaging the underlying varnish. I suggest doing this step during a dry day if possible.

Once the masking is dry, prime the models with Vallejo Black Primer and base with Vallejo Model Color 70.950 Black.

First black highlight with Minitaire 111 Coal.

Second black highlight Minitaire 110 Charred Stone.

Third black highlight Minitaire 109 Badger Fur.

Redefine shadows with Minitaire 111 Coal.

Redefine darkest areas with Vallejo Model Color 70.950 Black.

Glaze black areas with Vallejo Game Ink 72094 Black diluted 1:1 with acrylic airbrush thinner.

Spray on two thin coats of matte medium and then two thin coats of acrylic matte varnish. Allow to dry (not cure).

Remove masking. I score the edges of the masking with a new x-acto blade and then use a beading awl and tweezers to remove the mask from the model. Masking should be removed in 72 hours or less. The sooner the better. With time, the masking hardens and it will become progressively more likely that removing it will also remove the underlying paint.

Cockpit windows base coated with Vallejo Model Color 70.950 Black. I also touched up any rough areas left over from removing the masking.

Metal areas base coated with Vallejo Model Color 72.054 Gunmetal.

Metal areas washed with Vallejo Game Ink 72094 Black diluted with water and matte medium.

Metal areas highlighted with Vallejo Model Color 72.054 Gunmetal.

Lenses/missiles based with Vallejo Game Color Extra Opaque 72141 Heavy Red.

Lenses/missiles first highlight Vallejo Game Color 72.106 Scarlet Blood. The highlights are applied to the undersides of the lenses.

Lenses/missiles second highlight Vallejo Game Color 72.010 Bloody Red.

Lenses/missiles shaded with Vallejo Game Ink 72087 Violet diluted 1:1 with acrylic airbrush thinner. The shadows are applied to the tops of the lenses.

Lenses/missiles washed with Vallejo Game Ink 72086 Red 1:1 with acrylic airbrush thinner. The wash is applied to the entire lens.

Lenses/missiles final highlight (dot on the top of the lens) Vallejo Game Color 72.001 Dead White.

Cockpit reflection based with Vallejo Game Color 72012 Scarlet Red.

Cockpit reflection first highlight Vallejo Model Color 70.957 Flat Red.

Cockpit reflection second highlight Vallejo Model Color 70.817 Scarlet.

Cockpits shaded with Vallejo Game Ink 72087 Violet diluted 1:1 with acrylic airbrush thinner.

Cockpit reflection glazed with Vallejo Model Color 70.934 Transparent Red.

Two coats of diluted matte medium. This will prevent frosting of the metals when the varnish is applied.

Two coats of Testors Dullcote.

Two coats of acrylic semigloss varnish.

Two coats of acrylic gloss varnish over the lenses/missiles.

Flamethrower variant.

AA Variant.

Underside & magnets.
Passion has little to do with euphoria and everything to do with patience. It is not about feeling good. It is about endurance. Like patience, passion comes from the same Latin root: pati. It does not mean to flow with exuberance. It means to suffer.

Orchaldor

Post by Orchaldor »

Wow, that’s truly impressive! Nice breakdown of the steps too. 👍

Nodri

Post by Nodri »

Thank you!
Passion has little to do with euphoria and everything to do with patience. It is not about feeling good. It is about endurance. Like patience, passion comes from the same Latin root: pati. It does not mean to flow with exuberance. It means to suffer.

Thunderboy

Post by Thunderboy »

Great job once again!
“We're like the Forums little pitbull. You'll beat it, mistreat it, and once in a while we'll escape to attack somebody.” ;)

Gauntlet

Post by Gauntlet »

Really great job, and thank you so much for posting... I've been lax in posting stuff myself.

As for the Columbus, I'm not big fan of it as a model, but your paintjob makes it tempting!