Gauntlet's Showcase

A forum to show off terrain, painted miniatures, works in progress and similar.
Gauntlet

Gauntlet's Showcase

Post by Gauntlet »

Hey there! I'm Gauntlet (Ryan Rabideau)!

Been working on the hobby for about fifteen years and I've been playing DZC and DFC since their inception. They are the only games I play now (okay... I also play Fallout Wasteland Warfare) and I'm very committed to them.

I'm technically collecting all armies/fleets, but I have a pretty strong focus on UCM/Scourge.

Hope you enjoy the posts here, and please do give feedback!

Gauntlet

Re: Gauntlet's Showcase

Post by Gauntlet »

First up... lets look at Destroyers! I used large rectangular magnets for the "prongs" and custom wings involved. These were roughly 5mm by 15mm or so. I can't speak highly enough, as they made installation much easier, (no drilling) and keep a steady, strong, and straight pointing fit. Though, the various wings are a tad bit "out" compared to a traditional drilled in magnets.

Havanas are really exciting for me, I love their clear mission... fire Torpedoes and then dive into close combat!

I actually will only need to use these Kiev hulls when I need 4 of them and no Havanas. Reason being I have a great scratch-built stand-in for the Kiev (I'll show them later), so I have two. The resin for these was a bit bendy when I got them, but I sprayed with matte varnish before priming and that hardened them up.

My custom Vancouvers are a simple mod. Just take two Seattle wings and glue them together, it makes for a really big open "maw" for fighters to pour out of! These are also magnetized so that I can use the proper prongs as needed!

ayures

Post by ayures »

Your images don't work, yo.

Gauntlet

Post by Gauntlet »

How bout now?

ayures

Post by ayures »

Looks good now. Super nice work, too.

Nodri

Post by Nodri »

Great conversions! Could you share some info on how you use rectangular magnets? Round ones have always been my preference because they're easy to match with drill bits so that they can be flush mounted. If you've found a way around this, it could make magnetizing my Shaltari fleet much easier.
Passion has little to do with euphoria and everything to do with patience. It is not about feeling good. It is about endurance. Like patience, passion comes from the same Latin root: pati. It does not mean to flow with exuberance. It means to suffer.

Gauntlet

Post by Gauntlet »

You can actually see the magnets in the photos... I measured the rectangle section of connections between hull and prong, and bought rectangles to fit. Shaved flat and glued on magnets! No drilling needed.

This does mean that the model itself doesn't keep the prongs straight, the magnet does the work... so make sure you get strong ones... that being said, I tried traditional magnets and drilling and found this superior.

Gauntlet

Post by Gauntlet »

This is my latest Fleet model... and one of my last UCM ships to paint! After a few years, I'm finally catching up lol!

The paint scheme has evolved over time... but the "final" form lol is such:

1) Prime Uniform Grey
2) Mix Uniform Grey with White... about 50/50 and Airbrush highlight
3) Dry brush Uniform Grey with White... about 25/75
4) Paint Copper bits and Gunmetal bits
5) Apply Plate Silver to certain Gunmetal bits
6) Big step now... mix Dark Tone and Quickwash Medium 50/50 and apply to the entire model
7) Apply white to important "lights" then paint colors over them.
8) Engine effects.
9) Spray Varnish
10) Gloss important lights

Gauntlet

Post by Gauntlet »

THE BEAST!!!

I'm very proud of my Leviathan here for my Mad Max Resistance... it serves as a mobile workshop/HQ with benches, materials, extra rockets, fuel tanks, and a Crossbow emplacement... all while still being able to hold 6 wagons. The four proper turrets are magnetized, whilst the lower two are extra AA. I used a lot of DFC Spacestation kit pieces to add extra doo-dads, I really recommend you grab a kit as a lot of the tiny bits make great basing materials for infantry bases too!

Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Love the miniatures. Gorgeous!