Dis-/Embarking clarifiaction

Rules discussions and clarifications.
BlackLegion

Dis-/Embarking clarifiaction

Post by BlackLegion » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:16 am

Originally on Facebook I asked the following:
New transport rules. Do I get it right?

I activate a Battlegroup and all Auxiliary Transports I want.
Options:
- A Squad can move one unit within 2" of a Transport and embark. Then the Transport can move it's full MV. The Squad can't disembark but if enough space left another Squad could embark.

- A Transports may move its full MV and disembark any or all transported Squads. Other Squads can now embark if they move a unit within 2". The Squads just disembarked may move their full MV. Infantry can immediately embark in a Garrison if at least one Base is disembarked within 2" of a Garrison entrance.

- Aerial Transports may only move half their MV and have to land to disembark Squads. They may take off again after doing so but can't move any further.

- A Squad may only embark into an Aerial Transport if it has already landed. If they embark the Aerial Transport may take off? If the Aerial Transport hasn't moved yet it may take off and move.

What isn't possible anymore:
- (Aerial) Transport embarks Squads then moves and then disembark the Squads.

- (Aerial) Transport moves then embarks/disembark a Squad then moves again and embarks/disembark again then finish its remaining move.

Right?
I got some replies from people which where quite confused by the new rules (so much for streamlining)

So after several re-reads of the rules this is my understanding how Dis-/Embarkation in DzC V2.0 works:

Transports and to-be transported Squads are separate Squads. This means one has to completely finish its Actions before the other can do anything.

A Squad may Embark as part of their Moving action. This ends Moving for the Squad.

A Squad can Disembark at the start of its Moving action and then move its full MV. It may Embark again but this will end its Moving action.

Infantry which Disembarks within 2" of the entrance of a Garrison may immediately enter the Garrison. This will end its Moving action.

Likewise Infantry which leaves a Garrison may immediately Embark in a Transport if it is within 2" of the Infantry.

Note that the Transport can still move after any Squad (Dis-)Embarked from/into it if it didn't activate yet.

There is no limit of how many Squads can (Dis-)Embark form the same Transport apart from the transport capacity.
Reason: The Squad is doing the (Dis-)Embarking, not the Transport.

A bit more complicated it becomes with Aerial Transports...

Aerial Transport (Dis-)Embark Squads as part of THEIR OWN action.

An Aerial Transport can only (Dis-)Embark Squads if it didn't move further than half its MV and it has to land.

After landing it's move action ends and it can Disembark OR Embark any number of Squads. It can't Disembark a Squad and simultaneously Embark another Squad.

This isn't an Action for the (Dis-)Embarked Squads. Which means Squads can be (Dis-)Embarked before or even after their own Activation.

After (Dis-)Embarking Squads the Aerial Transport may take off again. This ends Moving for the Aerial Transport.

It is a bit unclear if Squads can (Dis-)Embark during their own Activation from/into a landed Aerial Transport. But the last sentence on page 263 under Aerial Transports implies that they can. Otherwise it would read: "Unless otherwise noted, units can only "be" embarked into or "being" disembarked from an Aerial Transport when it has landed".
Note my addition of the words "be" and "being" which would make this an Action of the Aerial Transport disallowing that Squads could (Dis-)Embark from/into a landed Aerial Transport during their own action. Otherwise it would be impossible for non-Infantry to Embark into an Aerial Transport because they can't land within 2" of non-Infantry.

Unclear is if an Aerial Transport can take off after a Squad (Dis-)Embark from/into it during the Squad's own Activation while it is landed. As the rules state the answer is no.

With this I can answer my own questions this way:

1) Correct

2) My wording is wrong because it isn't the Transport who disembarks the Squad. But else this event's are correct.

3) Correct

4) No. In this case the Embarkation isn't part of the Aerial Transports Action. So it has to remain landed.

5) Only possible if the Aerial Transport started its Activation landed. The Squad has to Embark on the Aerial Transport during its own Activation. The Disembark is then done during the Aerial Transports Activation.

6) Not possible anymore because grammar suggests that the Move is finished before the Aerial Transport can (Dis-)Embark Squads. Else the sentence would read as: "An Aerial Transport which isn't moving no further than..." and the word "immediately" would be missing.

I hope this clears everything up.

BlackLegion

Re: Dis-/Embarking clarifiaction

Post by BlackLegion » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:35 am

Some possible sequences:

Squad activates and moves within 2" of a Transport -> Squad embarks -> Transport activates and shoots/moves.

Squad activates and moves within 2" of a landed Aerial Transport -> Squad embarks -> Aerial Transport activates and takes off then shoots/moves -> Aerial Transport lands and disembarks Squads.

Squad activates and moves within 2" of a landed Aerial Transport -> Squad embarks -> Aerial Transport activates and takes off then shoots/moves -> Aerial Transport lands and embarks another Squad.

Squad activates and moves within 2" of a landed Aerial Transport -> Squad embarks -> Aerial Transport activates and disembarks the just embarked Squad -> Aerial Transport takes off ending its move on the same spot then shoots.

Squad activates and moves within 2" of a Transport - > Squad embarks -> Transport activates and moves within 2" of a landed Aerial Transport -> Transport embarks into landed Aerial Transport -> Aerial Transport activates and takes off -> Aerial Transport moves and lands -> Aerial Transport disembarks Transport within 2" of second landed Aerial Transport and then shoots -> second Aerial Transport activates and embarks the Transport -> second Aerial Transport takes off ending its move on the same spot then shoots.

Dread2005

Post by Dread2005 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:51 am

@black

last sentence sounds like a chain transport tactic... hm interesting

since my book did not yet arrive i must wait to join the talk
####################################

"nothing is ever simple" by Z.Z.Z.

BlackLegion

Post by BlackLegion » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:14 pm

The chain will stop with the second transport. You can't do it forever :-D