Small Arms AA

Rules discussions and clarifications.
Stompzilla

Re: Small Arms AA

Post by Stompzilla »

Nevermind uber focus. AT was also the remit of the standard infantry.

Gauntlet

Post by Gauntlet »

Agreed

Dark_Fox

Post by Dark_Fox »

This rule does seem really quite out there....
Infantry like immortals and praetorians suddenly being able to threaten vehicles by just pumping them full of lead does seem a little....odd. I would be interested to hear from the designers if this was intentional or oversight. If the latter i would expect an errata to change it to be something akin to +1 E per man which would naturally cap out at around +4 E putting it back to it's V1 values.

It also strikes me as super odd that a super CQ unit like eviscerators get way more energy with their quick strikes using RW rather than Heavy strikes. Though grants there is never really a need for such high energy.

Lorn

Post by Lorn »

The Problem with this solution is that it is to low E, it is quite possible that the shots are unable to damage flyers.

To give some exaples:

Preatorians currently are between E3 and E11 while with the above system they would be within E2-6 meaning the shot will be very marginal at best.
Immortals currently E4-10 under the above system E3-7.

If anything I would rather bring the old idea back with fixed energy values rather then trying to marginalise short ranged Infantry AA fire. Another idea might be to simply limit this against aircraft. I think it is fair that those should not hang around infantry.

Mr.prowler

Post by Mr.prowler »

I agree with the idea that small arms should be limited, maybe just anything under armor 5-6, since that's where almost all aircraft armor ends, and I think it isn't entirely unreasonable that a high volume of rifle fire could damage unarmored vehicles like dropships and technicals/lavs. I certainly don't like the idea of smgs tearing through a tank though. I do like Dark_foxes idea. Maybe having a fairly low E value isn't a bad thing? Since Infantry not meant to fulfill AA shouldn't be godly at it right?

Lorn

Post by Lorn »

I can only reccommend not to be deluded by the high E values, Infantry is not "godly" AA, for AA their range is fixed for 6", if it is a CQ weapon they cannot crit, they also only have 1 shot per weapon as you have to combine all shots.

We won´t see Infantry replacing AA due to the reduced rule. It should be punishing for a lightly armoured flyer, and even a somewhat armoured one to park next to a building full of Infantry. We all agree that it is silly to kill tanks with Assault Rifles though.