Desolator Questions

Rules discussions and clarifications.
TimeWizard

Desolator Questions

Post by TimeWizard »

Hi all Scourge players (and Scourge opponents!) a few questions re: the Desolator and more specifically the Ion Storm (Wide).

1) In V1.1 rules it said that the Ion Storm does not fire at a single unit, so in games past I have placed the 'aim point' either on a specific unit, or on a structure or even sometimes just simply at a point on the board. Was this correct?

2) Since the Ion Storm does not have to fire at a unit, can it be 'fired' from behind a structure without LOS to the aiming point? Or do I have to have another friendly unit draw LOS to that point (similar to an IF weapon)?

3) Both soft cover and body cover refer to targets getting the bonus if the scenery piece is "...between them and the shooter." The new stat sheet for the Ion Storm shows shots=0, so does this mean the Desolator is not a 'shooter' and therefore no targets could get soft cover or body cover?

*Edit added* 4) going with the above, if the Ion Storm does not need LOS to hit targets (since everything non-air within 6" and 12" gets hit) does any unit get hull down against the Ion Storm?

Thanks in advance for any feedback. TW

BlackLegion

Re: Desolator Questions

Post by BlackLegion »

1) Just shoot it. You don't need LOS to anything.
2) Sure. See 1)
3) and 4) Good question. I will add it to my list of questions.

Lord Sick

Post by Lord Sick »

does it target units in buildings? in the old rules of did not. but that rules is now gone it seems.

TimeWizard

Post by TimeWizard »

I don't believe so since the Garrison rule says units inside cannot be targeted unless they have moved to the edge of the Garrison.

Councillor

Post by Councillor »

TimeWizard, I don't understand your interpretation. The attack emanates from the Desolator and you measure distances from the flight stem. What is the "aim point" if not the Desolator?

As for cover, those would apply if there was a scenery piece between the Desolator and target unit(s). Off the top of my head, Garrisons are Body and Soft cover, so those would grant cover to victims. Soft cover is less interesting given the short range bands and footprint of buildings, but Body cover could be helpful sometimes.

Hull Down is a good question and I have a vague remembrance of the same question coming up in 1.1 days. I don't remember the answer, though. :oops: