coherency and disembarking

Rules discussions and clarifications.
Aladinn

coherency and disembarking

Post by Aladinn »

The rules say all distances are measured centre base to centre base. For infantry to stay in coherency, they can only be set up in one way (directly behind each other) as the bases are 2 inch wide). Is this correct? Also when disembarking each unit has to be within 2 inch of the (landed) transport and within coherency. As distance from the transport is measured from the centre, I found that is is practically impossibe to do this given the size of bases of infantry and transports. The same is when leaving from a building. With 3 or 4 infantry bases it us impossible to place them in coherency and all within 2 inch of a building.

According to the rules the following is possibile: arial transport lands at 4 inch from a building, squad disembarks for free at 2 inch from the building, and automaticly enters the building (also for free) because it disembarks within 2 inch. Then the squad activates and can search and find an objective. Then as a second action leaves the building placing it at 2 inch from the building, then enters the transport as part of its move. It can even enter a second transport (that has activated as part of the battlegroup), after which the second transport can move and disembard the squad for free into another building. Seems a bit to much..., but should be legal according to the rules...
Last edited by Aladinn on Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lorn

Re: coherency and disembarking

Post by Lorn »

Just to clarify you refer to Battle for Earth right? Not the old V1 version correct?

Aladinn

Post by Aladinn »

yeah the new rules of course, coherency is now 1 inch instead of base to base for infantry, and the units have to be placed while the transport is landed, so they cant be put directly below I think.

Tendentious

Post by Tendentious »

For the second part, I don't think you can. The transport can disembark passengers for free, but it says that squads can disembark as a moving action, so I would interpret that to meant that disembarking is free for the transport, but not for the squad. That means it would take 3 actions - move, search, move, so can't be done in one turn.

Aladinn

Post by Aladinn »

it says the free disembark doesnt count as a moving action for the squad. So it seems it is a separate bonus action.

Gauntlet

Post by Gauntlet »

I don't have my book just yet... but is there still a limit to embarkations/disembarks? If so, then you can only do two typically. Getting off the transports, and getting into a building would count towards that limit as one... then leaving the building and entering a new (or old) transport would count as a second.

Therefore, the squad could deploy, enter, find objective, exit into a transport... but could not then be disembarked yet again as in your example.

Aladinn

Post by Aladinn »

nah, there is no limit, though a squad can only do 2 actions, in this case searching and moving. The other 2 disembarks are free action by the arial transport. Note that this kind of move is only possible for arial transports, ground transports dont get a free disembark (you will have to spend the move of the embarked unit to get them out)

Lorn

Post by Lorn »

Ok since I got my book now, I can properly comment on the rules.

In regards to the 2" coherency you are correct, however do not forget that you measure to the units middle as well, in the old edition one hat 3" to do the same which granted is more but never ran out.
Did you ran into issues with normal sized squads? Or to be more precise with which models did you run into issues?
I really wonder how you think it is impossible to form up outside a building though. You realise that they only need to be in coherency with one other model in the squad? So you can form a line.

In regards to the second part so far I found nothing that prohibits this.

Aladinn

Post by Aladinn »

how can you place infantry units in a line (next to each other) when they have to be at a maximum of 1 inch from centre base to centre base? I think you can only place them behind each other this way.

On the second move. I figured it is possible to have very high chance of grabbing 2 objectives on 1e activation on turn 2 if you got initiative on that turn by using a couple of transports.
You can search for 2 objectives with 2 squads each on a 4+ (with each squad using 1 scans from ground transports that dropped on turn 2 (free disembark, so still can scan)) and make off with with both all in the same activation of the same battlegroup without giving your opponent a chance to do anything about it. Just need 4 ravens, 2 condors and some infantry and bears in them.
Of course, your opponent can do the same, but it seems a bit dull if it comes down on who's got initiative on turn 2...

Lorn

Post by Lorn »

Rough try to visiualise the Situation for the Infantry X is an Infantry Base and the B stand for the building:

BBBBB X
BBBBB X
BBBBB X
BBBBB X

alternatively

BBBB
BBBBXX
BBBBXX
BBBB

in the latter case they will have to be close to the building nearly base contact and nearly in base contact with each other remember that there is no facing for the infantry that is of any importance.