Kicking Things Off - 1500 UCM

A sub forum to share army lists.
Mediocrates

Kicking Things Off - 1500 UCM

Post by Mediocrates »

Hey all! -

I guess someone has to be the first, so submitted for your consideration is this 1500 point UCM list, hot off the new army builder app.

It's a pretty straightforward list - The idea was to maintain a good balance between AA, AT and infantry. A couple of notes:
- Everything is air-mobile to avoid the drive-on penalty.
- I gave two of the Raven B's missile pods because I figured the Longbows aren't likely to need to be redeployed, so I can use these as poor man's gunships (and I had 14 points to kill).
- Not crazy about the fragility of the Praetorian group: I'd prefer to have some organic support in the group with them, but was out of points, and didn't want to drop to 5 groups and put myself at an activation disadvantage.

Constructive critiques and general thoughts most welcome! Caveat lector: I have not actually played 2.0 yet, so this is all Theoryzone Commander-ing. That being the case, I would be especially welcoming of advice and insight from those who have managed to get a couple of games in: Please let me know if something in here would be problematic or less than useful in practice!

####

Name: UCM 1500 6/20/19

Faction: UCM

Planned Points: 1500

Commanders

Commander 1 || Sphere of Influence:12" || CV:3 || Cost:65pts

Battle Groups
HQ Group 1
Command Phoenix Command Gunship x 1 190pts Total Cost: 190pts

Armour Group 1

Standard Katana Light Tank x 6 35pts a2 Total Cost: 210pts
Support Rapier x 3 43pts a2 Total Cost: 129pts

Frontline Group 1

Support Eagle Heavy Gunship x 1 100pts Total Cost: 100pts
Troops Flak Team x 2 35pts c1 Total Cost: 70pts
Troops Legionnaires x 3 22pts c1 Total Cost: 66pts

Frontline Group 2

Troops Legionnaires x 2 22pts c1 Total Cost: 44pts
Troops Legionnaires x 2 22pts c1 Total Cost: 44pts
Support Falcon A x 2 40pts Total Cost: 80pts

Vanguard Group 1

Exotic Praetorians x 2 48pts c1 Total Cost: 96pts

Vanguard Group 2

Scout Wolverine A x 4 18pts b1 Total Cost: 72pts
Support Longbow Howitzer x 2 30pts b2 Total Cost: 60pts

Auxiliary and Transports

Auxiliary Bear x 2 15pts C3 a3 Total Cost: 30pts
Auxiliary Condor x 1 30pts A6 Total Cost: 30pts
Auxiliary Albatross x 1 65pts A18 Total Cost: 65pts
Auxiliary Raven A x 3 25pts C2 Total Cost: 75pts
Auxiliary Raven B x 2 15pts B2 Total Cost: 30pts
Auxiliary Raven B with Missile Pods x 2 20pts B2 Total Cost: 40pts
"Artillery lends dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Napoleon (ostensibly)

Feral

Re: Kicking Things Off - 1500 UCM

Post by Feral »

I like it, you've got a good balance of aspects, with a decent amount of troops for 1500 at 11 stands. you may struggle with punch vs a walker heavy PHR list due to the small amount of AT (the eagle makes up for this by being ace, but it's also a massive target for your opponent) but in objective capturing missions I think they'd equally struggle to stop your lights getting in and out with objectives before they can even get up the table. Wondering what the plan is for the wolverines?
"I don't trust anyone who lets a magic 8-ball run their civilisation"

Mediocrates

Post by Mediocrates »

Feral wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:35 pm
I like it, you've got a good balance of aspects, with a decent amount of troops for 1500 at 11 stands. you may struggle with punch vs a walker heavy PHR list due to the small amount of AT (the eagle makes up for this by being ace, but it's also a massive target for your opponent) but in objective capturing missions I think they'd equally struggle to stop your lights getting in and out with objectives before they can even get up the table. Wondering what the plan is for the wolverines?
Thanks for the feedback, Feral!

Point well taken re: the lack of AT vs. PHR. My (semi-) usual opponent in V1.1 was a Scourge player, so the high volume of fire and mobility of the Katana were generally pretty handy. That said, however, I can easily swap some or all of the Katanas for Gladii or Sabres without going over points or throwing off my current transport count. I guess I should paint up some other tanks ;)

As for the Wolverines, the idea was to use them primarily as spotters for the Longbows. The 'Bows have served me well before, and as my signature indicates, I'm a fan of arty ;). They also provide some mobile AA firepower, though.

Thanks again!

P.S.: I absolutely LOVE that tilt-rotor. Exquisite freehand. Did you paint that?
-Napoleon (ostensibly)

Feral

Post by Feral »

Yeah, it’s one of my newest, decided now bfe is here I should get him painted! Makes sense using them as spotters, what’s the range on longbows now? Weirdly your composition is very similar to my resistance lists which is why I noticed the at lack- I’m always struggling in that department!
"I don't trust anyone who lets a magic 8-ball run their civilisation"

Gauntlet

Post by Gauntlet »

Struggling in AT isn't that bad a strategy though... it's rare that I find myself winning a game because I destroyed all the enemy tanks.

I like the list a lot... so I don't think I would necessarily change anything, but I could see swapping Flak Inf. for Mortar infantry. Mostly for style points (arty) and for a little more potential AT with some utility against infantry. I think you already have enough AA... but 2.0 is definitely going to be a bit more AA heavy.

Mediocrates

Post by Mediocrates »

Feral -
Great work on the tilt-rotor, bud! Very impressive. The range on the Longbows is infinity/24", so even when countered, good positioning can give you a field of fire covering a big chunk of the board. They are arc "F" (except for the smoke), so you do have to pay attention to where you put them. Setting up an overlapping field of fire and luring enemy units into it is fun >:) When set up behind buildings, your opponent sometimes forgets about them!

Gauntlet -
Thanks for the feedback! I haven't used mortar troops yet, but I definitely dig your "style points" observation! May have to pick some up and try them out.

Once I finally get a game in (hopefully in the next few weeks), I'll report back and let you all know how this played.
-Napoleon (ostensibly)