confused about low power

Rules discussions and clarifications.
_ghost_

confused about low power

Post by _ghost_ »

Hi

Just read this rule an have a problem.

It says that using a low power weapon is instead of CAW.

Within scan range no problem.
But out of scan it's no longer instead of CAW because CAW can't be used.

I get it that this rule is meant to allow you to fire this weapon in addition to another and while doing this CAW are shut down. But as written it feels like low power weapons can only be used when you would be able to fire close actions as well. And these.. Well they have to be in scan range.

Thoughts?

Mediocrates

Re: confused about low power

Post by Mediocrates »

It isn't the most clearly-written rule in the book, for sure. I read the "instead of CAW" part to be referring to the core rule that allows you to fire a CAW in addition to any main weapon(s) allowed by whatever order you are on, NOT that you HAVE to be in a position to actually use the CAW.

Ex.: On standard orders, you can fire one weapon and your CAW, as per the main rulebook. If the ship has, say, a vent cannon and an artillery cannon, it could fire the vent cannon, and choose to ALSO fire its (Low Power) artillery cannon using the normal shooting rules for that weapon. If it does so, however, it cannot use its CAW.

Does that make sense?
"Artillery lends dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Napoleon (ostensibly)

Phil Black

Post by Phil Black »

As Mediocrates said.

The rules for CAW are that you can always fire them if you can fire another weapon - though they are in their own right restricted to Scan Range.
Low Power weapons can be used instead, but don't suffer this restriction to Scan Range as they are not Close Action.

Lordprinceps

Post by Lordprinceps »

Since this seems like the proper thread for it, I have two questions.

Does Subsystem Network activate off of low power? As an example, if I fire an artillery turret using Low Power, can I then fire a second artillery turret?

Secondly, does Subsystem Network grant an "implicit link" for the purposes of overcharge? If I have two vent cannons, is it possible to overcharge both on weapons free?

Mediocrates

Post by Mediocrates »

Lordprinceps wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:34 am
Since this seems like the proper thread for it, I have two questions.

Does Subsystem Network activate off of low power? As an example, if I fire an artillery turret using Low Power, can I then fire a second artillery turret?

Secondly, does Subsystem Network grant an "implicit link" for the purposes of overcharge? If I have two vent cannons, is it possible to overcharge both on weapons free?
With the caveat that I don't have my book or resistance reference cards with me, so may be mis-remembering something:

- Regarding your first question: Yes, I believe that is the case. As written, there are no restrictions on interactions with other rules. It simply says "when you fire..." (someone with the book or cards handy, please correct me if I'm wrong!) In fact, you could potentially unleash a hellish amount of firepower with a resistance cruiser on standard orders due to the way these rules interact.

Ex.: A cruiser armed with a vent cannon and two artillery turrets can fire the vent cannon, then use the "Low Power" rule to fire one artillery turret (instead of CAW), then use the "Subsystem Network" rule to fire another artillery turret.

I have to re-read the rules before going further, lest I start making stuff up, but I believe that there are some potential edge cases where if a cruiser has multiple "Low-Power" broadsides & turrets, it could potentially fire all of its weapons on Standard orders... :shock:

- Re: your second question: I don't believe so. AFAIR, there's nothing in the RAW that would indicate this. If that was the intent, it would likely say something like: "any weapons fired using this rule count as "Linked" for all other rules purposes."
-Napoleon (ostensibly)

Lordprinceps

Post by Lordprinceps »

That's what I was thinking, Thanks! Looks like 2x hybrid broadside and 2x artillery turret broadsides are the way to go, then, since that's a full 4 average damage on standard orders on the sides.

Or 4x artillery turrets just for as consistent damage as you can get; shame that each sprue only has one of each weapon!

achiles625

Post by achiles625 »

Subsystem network, as far as I understand it, can be triggered off of multiple weapons systems. So for instance, a cruiser with two artillery turrets and two vent cannon turrets could on standard orders:
-Fire one vent cannon turret
-Fire a second vent cannon turret due to subsystem network
-Fire an artillery turret instead of CAW
-Fire a second artillery turret due to subsystem network

Also, since all broadside weapons of the same type share the same linked value, firing one lets you fire all broadsides of the same type at up to four different targets (two per side) as one weapon activation. In addition, low power lets you fire one such weapon, regardless of other weapons fired, anytime you would be allowed to fire CAW.

So you could even build an all artillery cruiser with 2x artillery banks and 2x artillery turrets and fire all of the weapons on standard orders.
-One turret for standard orders
-One turret for subsystem network
-One bank for low power
-All the rest of the banks through linked

Thus, you could even shoot at six different targets simultaneously from the same ship. Essentially, Resistance cruisers have the most efficient dice-per-spike economy in the game.

Dread2005

Post by Dread2005 »

not sure if this is intended to be that powerfull.. but well see. my book is almost at my hands...
####################################

"nothing is ever simple" by Z.Z.Z.

Mediocrates

Post by Mediocrates »

achiles625 wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:00 am

So you could even build an all artillery cruiser with 2x artillery banks and 2x artillery turrets and fire all of the weapons on standard orders.
-One turret for standard orders
-One turret for subsystem network
-One bank for low power
-All the rest of the banks through linked

Thus, you could even shoot at six different targets simultaneously from the same ship. Essentially, Resistance cruisers have the most efficient dice-per-spike economy in the game.
Yep...this is basically how I built my heavy cruiser gunboat.
2x Hybrid Gun Bank - All fired as base weapon, using Linked.
2x Artillery Turrets - First one fired using "Low Power," second one fired using "Subsystem Network."
1x Scanner Array

I'm pairing it with a strike carrier with the sensor dome. Puts out 12 shots (18 if firing at targets on both sides) for an average of 6 hits, at a base range of 22" (assuming a major spike on the target from the strike carrier) before accounting for the target's sig. (so generally would be more like 24" -28"). All on standard orders, allowing it to shrug off spikes from Flash or Active Scan.

Can't wait to get it on the table and see if my theory works out in practice, haha.
-Napoleon (ostensibly)