Post your reviews of DZC 2.

The ground game set in the Commanderverse.
Stompzilla

Re: Post your reviews of DZC 2.

Post by Stompzilla »

I agree with almost everything there.

I never had much of a problem with double tap.

The rules are a hot mess right now and tbh are miserly inferior to what went before. There does seem like a lot of change for the sake of change.

I will bee playing my first game tonight and an quite looking forward to it but I expect that there'll be some oddities that come up, especially where infantry and searching are concerned.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Stompzilla

Post by Stompzilla »

First game of V2 last night and this review is going to be quite long.

I'll do a quick overview and then, as time allows put a more detailed blow by blow in so that anything we did wrong can be pulled up by the readers, or questioned in more detail.

The first and most lasting impression that I had is that there was no build up of tension or excitement, as in previous editions where the first 2 turns involve using considered maneuver to jockey for position and some long range sniping before it all kicked off in turns 3 and 4.

Not so, V2. We were straight into it and it was fast and furious.

There were a lot of ambiguous rules that really weren't very clear but we'll come to that later.

We played 1750pts Targets of Opportunity that now only has 3 centre objectives at clash level.

PHR vs Scourge.

The PHR made the schoolboy error of zooming his infantry units in their Tritons to just behind the objective buildings turn 1. I put a unit of warriors and a unit of Destroyers in 1 building and tried and failed to small arms one of the Tritons with the warrior and then put a unit of Warriors and Eviscerators in a second centre line building, went to the wall and nuked a Phobos with E12 plasma rifles

Still turn 1, I had a stand of Destroyers flamed out of existance by a Medusa (Wtf!) and then a Siren unit charged into the building and deleted a unit of warriors barring 2 guys, in CQ with no right of reply.

Razorworms made their presence felt and 4 stands CQ-ed the Sirens killing one base. Still turn 1.

There was some shooting on the rest of the board but nothing of any real note.

Turn 2 I activated first, found the objective the Sirens were challenging for using a scan from one of my APCs and got it off the board, from the middle, with not a damned thing my opponent could do about it. Same thing happened in the other building I had infantry in, at the start of turn 3, essentially ending the game. We played on till the beginning of turn 5 just to see what would happen with the last objective. As it turns out my Eviscerators took it from the cold dead hands of the PHR infantry they steam rollered over (I killed all the 3 infantry units looking for it with a combination of 2 rounds of flame from a Raider and CQ with my returning Scourge warriors and the Eviscerators. PHR dropped the building but the Eviscerators survived and got the objective of the board.

Going first in turn 2 was crazy. I activated every single dropships that I didn't need to get objectives off and had a massive flying wave of shots including the Screamer's Raider on top of the unit I actually activated. I did this every turn from this point on.

I killed a Hades deep in it's own half of the table at the start of turn 3 with a unit of Stalkers who had softened it up the previous turn by dropping and shooting from their Harbinger. The turn the Stalkers dropped they CQed a Medusa with their auto hitting claws and hit the Hades with 2 out of 3 E12 shots at -2 Acc. They finished the Hades off the following turn before it got to go, with claws and E12.

This was probably the worst game of DZC I have ever played. Not even close to the game I had at Invasion vs Egge's Scourge that was tense as hell and went back and forth desperately trying to stop him from getting objectives off the board and draw a bread on his Overseer to clear it off the focal point. This was point and pew and hope for the dice at the right time.

Gone was the tactics and setting up careful ambushes, in was the full scale zerg rush and reacting to my opponents' moves.

Game was over by turn 3 and despite utterly crushing my opponent there was little satisfaction to be had from the experience.

It felt more like pound shop 40k than DZC.

There were some good things. CQ does work quite well but the way searching for objectives and not actually being locked into a combat works means a unit like Sirens can jump into a building late turn, CQ the occupiers who have no right of reply, activate 1st in the next turn, search and then, on passing a 2+ fortitude check, can piss off with the objective, leaving your garrison standing around holding its dick. You will struggle to stop that objective getting off the table the same turn it's found.

Collateral damage works well, I did like that.

There we're a lot of odd situations where you only needed to roll a 2+ or a 3+ to crit a unit. e.g energy 12 vs A12 meaning a 2+ gave you 14 which is 2 above the armour as per the rules.

Despite scouring the rules neither of us could definitively say whether or not it was ok to bunny hop a unit (I.e. pick up, move and then drop off a unit with a transport).

We allowed it but still are none the wiser as to the official position.

Reduced raised its ugly head but we tried to be sensible. It's obvious and fine for units like Scourge Warriors but for Valkyries it had the potential to get ridiculous.

Thus is a different game to the DZC some of us have grown to love.

I still have an open mind and will be playing again. My opponent did make some real fuck ups and stopping to check rules did add to the time it took. There's a good chance we may have done some things wrong too, that may change the way the game is played and our experience of it. I genuinely do hope that this first game, which was enjoyable enough, just not a patch on 1.1, is not going to be how things actually are.

Honestly, I had a more tactical gaming experience doing kill team 40K last week.

TimeWizard

Post by TimeWizard »

Stompzilla wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:23 am
Despite scouring the rules neither of us could definitively say whether or not it was ok to bunny hop a unit (I.e. pick up, move and then drop off a unit with a transport).
Good honest review and I'm sure others will check in on it. Regarding the above, under Embarking & Disembarking it does say that the only time a squad can be embarked and disembarked at the same time is if the transport they're in is destroyed. This is a little vague and instead of "at the same time" it should probably reas "in the same activation".

Stompzilla

Post by Stompzilla »

Well that sucks. 😣

Thanks for the clarification though.

Aladinn

Post by Aladinn »

nah, you're reading that wrong. It only means that you cant have part of a squad embarked and another part of a squad (another unit) disembarked at the same time (so one unit is in the air, while the other is on the ground). It has nothing to do with how many times you can or cannot embark/disembark I think.

TimeWizard

Post by TimeWizard »

Yes but for an aerial transport to embark a squad, it would have to land within 2" of a unit in the squad but it can't land withing 2" of any non-infantry units.
So the only time it works is if the aerial transport can transport infantry not embarked in a vehicle. In that case alone the transport could land within 2" of the infantry unit, they could embaark for free and the transport could then continue it's move. But there is nothing in the rule that specifically allows a squad to embark and disembark in the same activation.

SwordOfJustice

Post by SwordOfJustice »

That is a great review, Stompzilla, and thanks for sharing that. I helped set up this forum but believe it or not, I haven't got the new rules nor played the beta. What you've written is very concerning, despite all the hype for the new edition.

SwordOfJustice

Post by SwordOfJustice »

Great review as well, Egge.

Stunrar

Post by Stunrar »

Hi Stomp, in your battle report it seems like you where able to get your infantry into the objective buildings on turn one. If they where at 24" ish from your table edge this doesn't seem possible even with an intruder?

Egge

Post by Egge »

Stunrar wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:41 pm
Hi Stomp, in your battle report it seems like you where able to get your infantry into the objective buildings on turn one. If they where at 24" ish from your table edge this doesn't seem possible even with an intruder?
Marauder move 12". Drop invader 2". Invader drives 6". Drop infantry 2". If the infantry is within 2" they can enter the building directly. 12+2+6+2+2=24".

Some buildings are 4" long. So say it is enough with 22" for a first turn enter. If I have misunderstood something I would happily be wrong.