CQC and less groups

The ground game set in the Commanderverse.
Wolfmire

CQC and less groups

Post by Wolfmire » Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:48 am

1st) What happens if someone only has 2 battlegroups compared to someone having 3? nothing changes? just cause if the guy with 2 goes first then the other person will being going twice after the second battlegroup moves. If we did a 999pts battle and had one team with 2 battlegroups, another with 3 and another with 4. Is there a special rule? I made a UCM army with an HQ, Armored, Infantry, and Spec-Ops. I then made a PHR army that only had 2 battlegroups. Both were Legal, oddly enough.

2nd) Does CQC take place when someone wants to do it or at an end phase or something? If they go whenever could does that mean CQC has a possibility to happen more than once in a turn?

Lorn

Re: CQC and less groups

Post by Lorn » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:25 am

1) No special rules, more Battlegroups are a straight up advantage in terms of number of activations. Though they are usually smaller then a few bigger ones.

To illustrate, take 6 Sabres you could either form 1 BG with them or 2 having 2 would mean you would have more activations but even if you go first you can only shoot with 3 and the others would have to wait for the other sides activation.

In V1 it was widely considered to be better to have more activations though therer was a harder cap.

2) Talking about V2 CQ attacks happen during your activation only the active side makes attacks.

Wolfmire

Post by Wolfmire » Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:56 pm

Lorn wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:25 am
1) No special rules, more Battlegroups are a straight up advantage in terms of number of activations. Though they are usually smaller then a few bigger ones.

To illustrate, take 6 Sabres you could either form 1 BG with them or 2 having 2 would mean you would have more activations but even if you go first you can only shoot with 3 and the others would have to wait for the other sides activation.

In V1 it was widely considered to be better to have more activations though therer was a harder cap.

2) Talking about V2 CQ attacks happen during your activation only the active side makes attacks.
so they don't fight at the same time? cause I thought both sides rolled dice? So when PFR activates it's immortals they roll, kill what ever they can, then UCM has to wait till they activate? also what happens when units are on the wall? to they stay on the wall during CQC even though they can't shoot outwards, yet things can shoot at them? Don't get me wrong, The CQC rules are way easier to understand but it's the small stuff like this that we seem to run into

Lorn

Post by Lorn » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:22 am

Wolfmire wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:56 pm

so they don't fight at the same time? cause I thought both sides rolled dice? So when PFR activates it's immortals they roll, kill what ever they can, then UCM has to wait till they activate?
In Battle for Earth (or 2 Edition of DZC) yes, but remember that the disadvantage if you moved in with enemies that turn, see page 270, "Shooting in a Garrison" second paragraph. You have to reroll hits.