Big changes to the ship profiles in the official fleet builder

The space game set in the Commanderverse.
alpha1983

Big changes to the ship profiles in the official fleet builder

Post by alpha1983 »

Today I decided to test the official fleet builder (http://dropfleetcommander.com/), to see how good/bad was in order to recommend it to new players. And to my surprise I run into quite a few changes to the keywords of some UCM ships. So far I have only seen changes to UCM but what I've already seen is quite mayor, and since this is not shown in any of the alternative list builder apps, I preffered to give you a heads up. I've so far run into the following changes:

-Santiago: Gains squadron(3) to its Stingray.
-Toulon: Gains squadron(3) to its UF-2200
-Rio: Gains squadron (2) keyword in its UF-6400 and Linked-1 in the two UF-4200
-Osaka: Gains squadron (2) keyword in its UF-6400.
-Berlin: Both its UF-4200 gain Linked-1.
-Madrid: Both its UF-4200 gain Linked-1.
-San Francisco: Both its UF-4200 gain Linked-1.
-Atlantis & Johannesburg: Gains Linked-1 in the two UF-4200 and one of its UF-6400. The Atlantis (exact same profile as the Johannesburg) costs 195 points instead of the 205 that the Johannesburg costs. I imagine that this is just a mistake from TT.
-Avalon & Perth: Gains Linked-1 in the two UF-4200.
-Moscow: Gains Linked-1 in the two UF-4200 and one of its UF-6400.
-Saint Petersburg: Gains Linked-1 in the two UF-4200.

The changes seem quite consistent, giving the linked-1 rule to all of the UF-4200 guns, which is a big improvement for San Francisco and Madrid, but not so much for Rio or Berlin. Also, Atlantis, Johannesburg and Moscow get to link their UF-4200 guns with a UF-6400, greatly boosting their firepower with standard orders.
Rio, Osaka, Toulon and Santiago get instead a boost to promote taking big groups. In the case of the Osaka, the boost will almost always be there, as the minimum groups size is 2, meaning that the squadron 2 will most of the times be met to get the D6 extra shots.

Now, my personal opinion. These changes increase the number of shots fired on standard orders with most of the UCM ships, increasing overall damage and, for the case of Moscow, Atlantis and Johannesburg, greatly reducing the benefit of using the Weapons Free order. For these 3 ships, this is a buff that seems unnecesary, which, according to the pickrates from dflist.com, are already popular heavy options.
Same thing with the Osaka. Having a Squadron 2 on it gives it a significant boost over the Rio, as the player will need to use 210 points of Rios to be able to benefit from the Squadron keyword and the Osaka gets to benefit from it with just 164. Right now Rio and Osaka have both a pickrate of 0.08, which makes both quite popular, but this change will just plummet the Rio, making it an unviable option.
The rest of the changes seem very good IMHO. Linking together the UF-4200 in the wings seems like a good move, specially to make the highly specialized Madrid and San Francisco able to shoot a little. And rewarding taking bigger groups with the keyword Squadron seems like a good idea, to reward different types of listmaking.

Orchaldor

Re: Big changes to the ship profiles in the official fleet builder

Post by Orchaldor »

I noticed the same, and there have been changes in the Shaltari as well, with all the particle lances being given Fusillade(1), from the Diamond right down to the Jade. I also noted the downgrading of the attack value on the Diamond - at this point not sure if that is a counter balance to gaining Fusillade, or a simple typo (I suspect deliberate, but we all know Traffic James do happen!).

I’m less familiar with the other factions, so would have to go through my books to cross check, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see changes to their lists too.

Thunderboy

Post by Thunderboy »

Good catch!
Feel free to post feedback on the builder aswell.
“We're like the Forums little pitbull. You'll beat it, mistreat it, and once in a while we'll escape to attack somebody.” ;)

Dread2005

Post by Dread2005 »

I am more the tactic player, weaponpower is not the most needed thing in dropfleet... my two cent...

Not sure if its any good to let many units do much more DMG then before...

Better for example cancle the uf 4200 pairs on a San Francisco and reduce points 6-10

But i know the crowd wants more boom boom ;-7
####################################

"nothing is ever simple" by Z.Z.Z.

Thunderboy

Post by Thunderboy »

Dakka dakka good
“We're like the Forums little pitbull. You'll beat it, mistreat it, and once in a while we'll escape to attack somebody.” ;)

Zoxe

Post by Zoxe »

Yes, TTC adopted much of the Community Errata for DFC that had been rumbling around the U.S. tournament scene for 2+ years. Some of the changes made it into BfE, but the bulk of the rest became the updated official Errata and the Ship Stats. There is much play time within the community for these changes; not saying they're perfect but they do play pretty well. In addition to the keywords, most of the points cost adjustments came from the Community Errata. Dave came over the pond to attend the Michigan Grand Tournament this fall, got to see the changes in action firsthand.

TTC talked about it here:
https://community.ttcombat.com/2019/12/ ... aq-errata/

NiciusMax

Post by NiciusMax »

I've used the official errata for the first time yesterday and it felt pretty decent. We both used ships we haven't used ( often) before.

I brought out an Moscow for the first time ever ( which was my first model built for dropfleet), an Atlantis ( used it only once I think) and a pair of Rio's.
My opponent brought a pair of Icarus ( the launch medium fron PHR).

All these ships preformed pretty good and I was quite surprised with the performance of the Rio's with the Squadron rule. They did more damage then my Berlins and where a lot easier to manouvre

Gauntlet

Post by Gauntlet »

The Moscow is now a A++ choice in any list in my opinion. I like where it sits, but wonder about how cheap it is. I think ultimately the ship is hard to balance due to the sheer volume of weapon systems, and if we could remodel it, I'd remove the upper turrets, give the lower turrets fusilade, and maybe even give it 1 additional damage point or such.

As it stands, it needs to link the 4200s with a single set of 6400 to be useful, and otherwise would have links 6400s which would have been ridiculously good. I think it sits in a nice place, but probably needs to go back to 160ish points.

NiciusMax

Post by NiciusMax »

Yeah, I think the Moscow is great where it is right now. I don't feel like it is to cheap for its points though. A Centurion is cheaper and offers roughly similair weapons free firepower.

Thunderboy

Post by Thunderboy »

There's a new none Trafic James FAQ out now.